Thursday, April 19, 2012

KOP News # 1128

Joe Cole happy at Lille and in no rush to return to Liverpool

• 'I would like to stay but it's not in my hands'
• 'Only thing I miss is Premier League atmosphere'

Joe Cole says he has been well received at Lille during his seaon-long loan from Liverpool. Photograph: Philippe Huguen/AFP/Getty Images

Joe Cole is keen to continue his continental adventure at Lille and he is waiting to discuss the future with Liverpool, his parent club, as his season‑long loan approaches its end.

The one-time England regular left Anfield at the end of last August, after a frustrating first season at the club, and he has thrived on and off the field in France. Liverpool have supplemented the £130,000-a-week wages of a player they took on a free transfer from Chelsea.

"I would like to stay but it's not in my hands," Cole said. "I haven't spoken to anyone at Liverpool. I'm waiting to hear from them. I've been very well received at Lille. I've discovered a football culture and a way of playing. The only thing that I miss is the atmosphere in the Premier League. The level in France is similar."

Cole has not given up hope of adding to his 56 England caps, the last of which came in the 4-1 loss to Germany at the 2010 World Cup finals. He would doubtless consider it a boost to his chances were Harry Redknapp, his former manager at West Ham United, to be given the England job. Cole would also love to play for Team GB at the London Olympics. "Whenever I go home[to London], I go past the Olympic village," Cole said. "If I am called up again for England, I will be delighted, especially as England are playing France in the first match [at Euro 2012]."

 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...