Monday, June 18, 2012

KOP News # 1314

Jordan: I'll prove them wrong

14th Jun 2012 - Latest News

    •  

Jordan Henderson insists any criticism that comes his way will only act as motivation as he bids to make his mark on Euro 2012 with England.

The Liverpool midfielder was a late inclusion in the Three Lions squad for the tournament after Frank Lampard was ruled out due to injury. Manchester City's Gareth Barry was also forced to withdraw.

Some suggested manager Roy Hodgson should have perhaps called upon the services of a more experienced international midfielder, but Henderson is adamant he can thrive on such debate and prove any doubters wrong.

He said: "There has been a lot of criticism but that is part and parcel of football - it doesn't bother me.

"Maybe at the start of the season, I needed to deal with the increased scrutiny that comes with playing for Liverpool a little bit better.

"But I wouldn't want it any other way now.

"I think I've taken it quite well and it's the way I like it to be.

"I would rather have people criticising. It gives you that little bit more incentive to go and prove them wrong.

"I think more about what the manager at Liverpool and my teammates think or the manager and the players with England.

"It's more important what they think, so there's no criticism that has stuck but I know when I don't play well and when I know when I play well.

"I am very critical of myself so I need to be a little bit more confident at times."

Henderson made 48 appearances in his debut season at Liverpool following a move from Sunderland last summer.

And the Reds No.14 admits his maiden term on Merseyside has been a great learning curve in his development.

"At times, I have done quite well and been pleased," reflected Henderson. "At different times, I have been disappointed with my performances and the way I have played.

"But I am going to come across that. That is part and parcel of football. I have to deal with that and that will help me to improve in the future.

"I have had a lot of great experiences even in this past year and it has made me more of a man and I am looking forward to keeping on playing and contributing to the team."

Henderson was deployed predominantly in a right-midfield role during 2011-12, though he's expected to provide central midfield cover for England.

The man himself, however, has no preference about where he's asked to play.

"I think I should be able to play both positions," said Henderson.

"I have played on the right quite a lot now so I should be able to do that just as well, but given the chance in the middle, hopefully I can do a good job there as well."

The Reds youngster made his tournament bow as a late substitute during the 1-1 draw against France on Monday evening in the Three Lions' opening game.

Now Henderson is itching for more action in either England's next match against Sweden on Friday, or next week's final Group D fixture against Ukraine.

However, he knows it will be a difficult task taking the places of either Scott Parker or Anfield teammate Steven Gerrard in Roy Hodgson's starting XI.

"I will be ready if I am needed," Henderson said. "Steve and Scotty did very well in there (against France).

"I think they're both fit enough to last the full game but I was delighted to get on for the last 15 minutes.

"I had to treat it like any other game. It was another amazing experience for me."

England turned in a gritty display to pick up a point against France as they ground out a draw in Donetsk.

But while Henderson acknowledges Les Bleus may have enjoyed more of the possession, he believes Hodgson's men could have taken all three points on another night.

He reflected: "France had more of the possession and a lot more shots but I think, if you go back to the game and look at the chances, we created a lot more clear-cut chances that we could have taken a little bit better.

"As chances came, we probably had the better ones.

"The build-up to Sweden hasn't been too much different.

"We have to be confident in ourselves and make sure we are doing the right things in training.

"Sweden are a good team, who work very hard and will make it difficult for us."

If Henderson was to secure a starting berth against either Sweden or Ukraine, it could prove to be a dream birthday present for the Reds midfielder who will turn 22 on Sunday.

He joked: "I was trying to keep that quiet! Hopefully it will be a nice birthday after the Sweden game."

 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...