Tuesday, July 17, 2012

KOP News # 1416

Rodgers hoping to reinvent Liverpool's style to bring about a new golden era

By Dominic King

PUBLISHED: 23:54 GMT, 11 July 2012 | UPDATED: 05:03 GMT, 12 July 2012

Brendan Rodgers is determined to reinvent the way Liverpool play to lay foundations that will help the club embark on a successful new era.

The new man in charge at Anfield is under no illusion about the size of the task that faces him and it would be naïve to think his appointment will suddenly mean Liverpool are transformed into credible contenders for the Barclays Premier League.

Reinvention: Brendan Rodgers plans to reinvent Liverpool's style of play

Managing expectations is something all Liverpool managers have had to deal with during the past two decades and Rodgers' mission in the new campaign will simply be to get the club hammering on the door of the top four once more.

Monumental changes have swept through the English game since Liverpool last ruled the roost in 1990 and it is becoming ever more difficult to predict when the 18-time champions will be considered realistic title contenders again.

Rodgers, though, is not going to shy away from the challenge and believes revamping the way Liverpool play, getting them to shuttle the ball at pace and press their opponents, will be the first step on the road back to the top.

On his way again? Andy Carroll has failed to impress since his £35million move from Newcastle

'The club and where it was at over the years – will any club ever do that again?' Rodgers asked.

'That's a big question. But I certainly think with a club of our status and its value to the football world that we can go again. It's going to take time. 

'Whether it will be in my time, I'm not so sure. But I'm going to fight for my life to try to get this model of play that hopefully can change the history of the club.

'The finances now involved in the game means it's not just one or two clubs (dominating) now. 

'You look at the top six or eight clubs and what they have got financially. They are some of the superpowers of world football and we are competing with that. But it's not all about money.

'This is a club where trophies are what it has been about for many years. But aligned and running alongside that, for me, is putting in place a model that will see the club grow.

'That is equally important. I know where I want us to be in three, four years but I won't make stupid statements.'

Still involved: Luis Suarez (left) is likely to feature in Rodgers' plans

Such clear and concise statements are part of the reason he has been received so warmly in his new surrounds.

Rodgers has immersed himself in Merseyside culture, so much so that he even had a night in the city centre last weekend.

'I won't be in it every Saturday night I tell you!' he said, with a wry smile. 'I probably won't be in it for a few years yet! But, listen, I think it's important.

'I'm someone of the people, really. I'm someone who respects people and understands that this is a way of life here at the football club. 

'It's something that's very important. When I went to Swansea they put my under no pressure to move.

'I could have stayed in Reading and driven up every day. I was there every day from the off, to get a sense of the people and the passion.

'I've got many fantastic people who have given me a great welcome since I've been here.

'That's what's made my transition to Liverpool very, very smooth. I feel as if I've been here a lot longer. I think that's where there's a real hand in glove fit here for both. Hopefully we can move on.'

 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...