Wednesday, March 28, 2012

KOP News # 1050

League'

28th Mar 2012 - Latest News

Jose Enrique thinks Martin Skrtel has eclipsed Manchester City captain Vincent Kompany to be the best centre-back in the Barclays Premier League this season.

The Slovakia international has been one of the Reds' most consistent performers in 2011-12, scoring four goals in 37 appearances.

He has helped Liverpool keep 11 clean sheets in the league - a stat beaten only by Swansea City and the two Manchester clubs.

Enrique claims he would not swap Skrtel for anyone.

"You cannot say that any striker has made a game difficult for him this season," said the left-back. "Against many different strikers this season he has had an amazing game.

"He is doing really, really well for us.

"He has everything. He's good in the air, he's a strong player, he's quick, he's good with the ball.

"For me, I wouldn't swap him for any centre-back in the Premier League.

"I know Kompany is a good centre-back too but I prefer Martin."

Enrique also spoke about Sebastian Coates and the scissor-kick he scored against Queens Park Rangers last week.

The Spaniard admits he was pleasantly surprised to see that his young teammate was capable of such acrobatics.

"I don't think he knew he could do it!" joked the 26-year-old.

"He told me he tried but was scared because the defender tried to head the ball and he didn't want to kick him.

"But he scored an amazing goal - maybe you'll only score one of those in your life."

Enrique has yet to open his own goalscoring account for Liverpool despite coming close several times since his summer move from Newcastle.

"It's already my fifth season here and I haven't scored yet in the Premier League," he said.

"It would be a great moment for me if I scored but the most important thing is the team.

"This season I have tried, and I've had many chances to score but some of them were with my right foot and they were more difficult.

"I hope one of them can go in and I'll score."

 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...