Friday, May 6, 2011

BBC Sport - Jay Spearing earns new Liverpool contract

BBC Sport - Jay Spearing earns new Liverpool contract


Jay Spearing earns new Liverpool contract


Liverpool midfielder Jay SpearingSpearing's dynamism has been a feature of his play for the Reds

Liverpool midfielder Jay Spearing has extended his contract with the club.

The 22-year-old, who has started his side's last six games, has been

rewarded at the end of a season in which he has begun to establish
himself in the first team.

"It is great news for us, great for wee Jay and for everybody concerned," said Reds boss Kenny Dalglish. "It's just reward for the performances he's put in and he thoroughly deserves what he's got."

The tigerish Spearing has come through the ranks at Anfield since joining
the club as a seven-year-old but has had to be patient in his wait for
first-team action.

"He has started the last few games for us, so that is progress in itself as he was never one of the starting XI unless there were injuries or suspensions," added Dalglish.

"Now I'm getting that run [in the side] I've been able to show my desire and commitment to the club." Jay Spearing


"But he's in there now and he's in there on merit. I think that's progress. "He's certainly reached a higher level than he has done before. We're delighted with what he's done and he's a great asset for us to have." Spearing made his Liverpool debut as a substitute in a 3-1 win at PSV Eindhoven in the Champions League in December 2008 before his first Premier League start in a 1-0 defeat at Sunderland in October 2009.
He also spent a spell on loan at Championship club Leicester at the end of the 2009-10 campaign. "I am buzzing," he told the Liverpool website. "I'm pleased to have finally put pen to paper and got everything sorted.

"I've been here for a long time and playing for Liverpool is all I have ever wanted to do, so hopefully I can keep going now.

"It has been a long time coming. I've been in the background and in and around the first team and maybe not had a run in the team, but now I'm getting that run I've been able to show my desire and commitment to the club.

"I owe a lot to the boss and hopefully I am repaying him with the games I am playing. He put me into the derby [against Everton in January] straight away and that gave me a lot of confidence. "Any player who has the belief of the manager always wants to go on and show what he can do."With the new boss coming in and the way we have been playing and with me

getting some game time, it has been a good couple of months and this
has topped it off for me."



Blogged with the Flock Browser

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...